Wednesday 15 August 2012

Home-School Kids: Losers.

I was on a train coming back from London. It was packed, and so I grabbed the first seat that I could find. Unfortunately for me, it was next to a family who were, from the conversation, home-schooling their kids. There was the mother, a short haired 'liberal' looking woman, the father, a plain looking guy in a short-sleeved shirt, and the two kids, both boys, one was about 9 with extremely long hair, and the other, a 5 or 6 year old. The first kid seemed shy and lonely, while the younger kid was the noisiest little fucker I've ever heard. Before I left to find a seat in another carriage, they were playing games like 'guess who' at a volume that must have killed people closer to them.

It's the parents fault when they have a brat like that, and they were selfish. Instead of letting the little shit repeat questions four or five times, they should have answered him. Instead of trying to compliment him for the shitty drawings he was doing, they should have told him to be quiet. Instead of encouraging him constantly to be creative (she was a neo-hippy wife, while the father was a silent stooge), they should have given him a book to read. At no point did they say 'there are other people on the train, so you need to stop shouting.' I was half a carriage away and I couldn't listen to music because he was shouting about Johnny English and Nacho Libre (seriously). If this had been in Australia or America they would have been told to shut up, but this was Britain so people endured. They also fed him sugar throughout the trip, so he was extra-boistrous. Again, it's the parents faults for encouraging him: at no point did they tell him to read a book, or draw on his own, everything he did was part of a game, and he was over-stimulated. Again, this is the parents fault.

It's also the parents fault that they are home-schooling their kids and they end up as either noisy or shy. So much of schooling is about social interaction, that kid would never be allowed to be so irritating if he was around other kids his own age, the older one would never have had that hair (well below shoulder-length) because he would get bullied. The fact that they were both complimented the whole way through the trip means that they aren't getting any discipline, which will lead them to be arrogant little shits. Also, how arrogant do you have to be to say, as a parent, 'no one else but I shall educate my children, so I will' - chances are those kids will end up as outcasts, or go on a killing spree. I'm glad I found a seat elsewhere, but I left hating the mother the most, then the annoying kid, then the prick of a father, and then felt sorry for the older kid. I hate them all.

P.S. Was on the train because I was coming back from London where I went to see the Olympics. Despite all of the flag-waving and nationalism it brought in the atmosphere was really good, and it was a blast.

No comments:

Post a Comment