Wednesday 2 June 2021

2014: Creep (21st)

 What else happened this year? I was alive, and working, and an adult in this year, but I can't remember anything happening. Was this the time that Isis was around and really at their peak? When was that Icelandic volcano which really messed with people's flights and had a long name? If it is those years, that makes 2015 or 2013 more difficult, so I won't even check. [Edit: not sure about the volcano, but this was the year they declared the caliphate - it's also the beginning of the Hong Kong protests, Ebola, and Russia invading Crimea. What a year!] 

What is the plot - in one sentence? A down-on-his-luck movie director heads to a new client, a man who is dying and wants to leave a video legacy for his family.

I don't have time, just spoil it for me? To the surprise of no one, the guy is lying, and after some mild stalking shenanigans, the movie director is killed on camera. The 'Creep' guy adds it to a collection of DVDs of his former victims, and he's shown chatting to the next one, too.

What's the meaning of the Title? Dude's a creep I mean very obviously he is, right from the beginning. He's almost immediately naked, pretending to bathe a non-existent child, and the other guy's alarm system is failing him.

A lovely screenshot of the bloke pretending to be a dancing wolf. I was shocked that he turned out to be a lunatic. Shocked I tell ya.
 Anything that's not aged well? Does a woman get slapped around? Not really, it's pretty much two people in the movie, nothing too contentious save for a roofying and stalking. 

Any thoughts? I've got a lot of time for low-budget movies. I think that it's good when people go against budget restrictions and make a tight movie with a real impact. I suppose that the entire movie is meant to be 'tense' in that we know something bad will happen, but it is very obvious that it will from the beginning, and so we know the movie has to run its course. 

I know that all movie viewing requires a suspension of disbelief - but this guy just made too many bad decisions. Alone with a creep? Why not take a drink with him that he can easily spike. He's been in your house and sent you videos of himself digging your grave- why not arrange to meet him and spend the entire time looking away from where anyone would be, don't be alert at all - the final shot is of the bloke looking out to a lake, facing away from where anyone would approach, and he's axed on camera. Why did he let his guard down so much? No reason.

Would you recommend this? No, I wouldn't. I think fair play for making a zero budget movie even remotely workable, but this isn't my cup of tea. Also there were a lot of cheap and pretty shoddy jump scares, naa. 

Final thoughts? Not very good, I was surprised that it appeared on several 'underrated horror movie' lists. I wasn't convinced by it.  The only real thing is the witchcraft element which is only hinted at. He's shown breaking into the guy's house and cutting his hair while he slept, and after that he has weird dreams. That hints at something much more interesting than what we got here. What we did get here was a pretty forgettable low-budget movie, and that's all right.

 

Enjoying this? Why not check here for more? Not enjoying this? Why not check here to see if others will change your mind? 

No comments:

Post a Comment