Thursday 14 February 2013

5 Albums I Bought Because Of Their Artwork

Hi there Pascal-o-teers, here are some albums I bought primarily because I like the album cover. Looking back on it, only one of these was bought without me hearing anything of the music, but that makes it a little less glamorous. Big Black, in case you're wondering. Also, all images are either scanned or found online.

5. Shihad - Shihad
Artwork - Something about the colour is  very nice, the pink and the blue work well. It's also got fish gasping for air, and a cool font. From what I remember, the booklet and back of the CD case keep a light blue nautical theme throughout. Solid.
Album - Fine, some catchy tunes like 'A Day Away,' 'La La Land' and 'Home Again' make this a better than average New Zealand rock album.

4. Cathedral - Forest Of Equilibrium
Artwork - Good. Some weird, medieval-style artwork, the whole thing is borderline blasphemous, and there is a lot of phallic imagery. A curious joy.
Album - Shame about the album. I had a couple of later Cathedral albums when I got this, so I knew what to expect. Except this album is crappy, and the others are better. Still, good album cover.

3. Big Black - Songs About Fucking
Artwork - bold, vibrant colours, suggestive artwork, and that title, all make it worthwhile to buy, sight unseen. (I'm generally too poor to have impulse purchases like that, but this was worth it).
Album - Pretty intense, and pretty funny. Pretty good. 

2. Butthole Surfers - Locust Abortion Technician
Artwork - I bought this in a second hand store, on a 12" LP with Japanese writing on the front. It's terrifying, as it is supposed to be. Weirdly hypnotising. Hypnotisingly creepy. Creepily Weird.
Album - Eh, The Butthole surfers are ok, I suppose, and I have a mate who saw them live and said she threw up there because it was so intense, but this album is only ok. I did however, have the song 'Human Canonball' as my alarm clock for about 6 months, so I know the first 30 seconds more than I do my own family. 

1. Ween - The Mollusck
Artwork - A nautical themed album (most of the songs are about ice or water, or are sea shanties) is given a weird, mutated crustaceous-type fish struggling on the front cover. A joy.
Album - The best album of all these listed, by some margin. I've made my love for Ween very clear in 'the real world' outside of this blog, and would like to echo those sentiments here. A great album from a great, challenging and life-affirming band.

There you go, I think I also bought a Wolfmother album, and probably a Sword one, because I liked the covers more than anything, but... that's enough for today. Happy Valentine's Day everyone. 

P.S. Songs about fucking? the butthole surfers? an album by ween? what an overgrown 13 year old virgin I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment