Monday 28 January 2013

New Orleans Pelicans, a victory.

I've discussed N.B.A. teams logos and names in previous articles. Now I am happy to announce the New Orleans Hornets are to become the New Orleans Pelicans at the start of next year. In my reviews of the logos of the teams, the Hornets came out as a solid choice, and as such it will be missed. However, I think that the naming of the team as the Pelicans is a victory for mankind in general, and basketball specificially. The Pelicans is a terrific name: pelicans are ungainly, awkward and ugly, and yet have a grace and beauty of all birds. They are great at fishing, and interesting enough with their huge bills, but in real life look nothing like the ferocious, ball carrying maniac seen here:

It would choke if you stuffed a ball into its beak,at least if my high-school science projects are anything to go by.


Quite genuinely, and without irony, this is a win on all counts. The only thing which could make me happier is when the Brooklyn Nets change their name to the Vigilantes.

No comments:

Post a Comment