Friday 20 January 2012

Chinese Logic, German Logic. Two examples.

A conversation I had quoted as it occurred:
The first took place with a German guy, who was a dick, and I was trying to wind him up.
Me: "German, thankfully, isn't a world language"
Him: "What? It is a world language"
Me: "What, do they speak it in Samoa, that used to be a German colony didn't it?"
Him: "I don't know, but they speak it in Austria"
Me: "OK."
Him: "and in Switzerland... parts of it"
Me: "But, surely, that makes it a European language"
Him: "and Europe is part of the world, so it is a world language"
Me: "I'm off for a beer, want one?"

This is what I have come to learn as German Logic. However, it reminded me of a formal debate I once watched while at uni (the things we do to impress people huh?) - which was between the Chinese ambassador on one hand, and a Taiwanese and British Consulate on the other. The argument went as follows:

Taiwan guy: China has been pressuring us for our Chinese artifacts.
Britain guy: Same here.
China guy: You have over 90% of all chinese artifacts in the world, they are culturally important to us.
Taiwan guy: We only have that much because you destroyed them in the Cultural revolution.
Britain: Only because people fled with art and artifacts, and because of previous museum collections, do any survive at all now. We only have such a high proportion of them because you actively destroyed them. And why shoudl we give things back to you which we value and you have tried to destroy in the past.
China guy: That's irrelevant, you have 90% of our stuff.

I guess this can be called Chinese logic. This repeated for nearly an hour. It wasn't fun, especially as it took place in a heated room, filled with angry people in suits. Was there a point to that tale?
What was my point here? I'm not sure, but I suppose cultural understanding is important, no matter where you are, or how important you think you are.


No comments:

Post a Comment