Monday 2 April 2012

4 Best Musicals '4' 'Men'.

I had the grave misfortune of watching a bit of High School Musical 3 on Sunday. If that's considered cool, then I think I will have to side with those people who actively seek out armageddon. Guys seem to be into it too, and we must be nearing a generation of kids who think that breaking into song and dance isn't a way to get your asses kicked. Aside from teen nonsense, there are other musicals. Even they tend to be a little stupid and camp. For example, West Side Story is about gangs...who dance and sing their differences away. That seems a little odd. To counter this, the following musicals are ones I approve of. The rule is: no dancing.

Paint your Wagon [1969]
I debated  including this one for a while, but it might as well get in the list. The main reason is that listening to Clint Eastwood sing is a joy. He sounds like one of those 'rappin' Ronnie Regan' albums. Funny, but by no means a classic...
although this Simpsons version nearly is...

Burmese Harp [1956]
A great movie, though not necessarilly a 'musical' more a war movie with songs- that's why it's not higher up. However, it's a lovely movie, and one which my great uncle recommended to me. It's set in Burma at the end of the Second World War, a war which he himself fought in (P.S. they kicked their Japanese asses). A soldier mircaulously survives when trying to meet up with the rest of his group, and comes to a spiritual realisation that the only way to live with himself is to bury the war dead. He takes up life as a Buddhist monk, and continues to play the Burmese Harp of the title. Throughout, the Japanese soldiers sing (their corporal was a chorus singer in civilian life) and  at time, the allied troops break into song. It skips over the Japanese cruelty to the Burmese people, but it is hinted at often. A beautiful classic about the pointless struggle of war, and of the eternal hope we each have within us. N.B. I couldn't find videos of the songs, but you can watch the whole thing on one link on youtube- cool! 
they're either singing, or having an invisible banana eating contest. [source]

The Wicker Man [1973]
 I've already mentioned this movie on my movies set on islands list, but it deserves another shout-out. A true one off, a Pagan horror muscial. Some of the songs are terrific. It's a wonderful, often surreal celebration of Scottish culture, rythm, and island life, and its message challenged Christian notions of love and worship. On top of all that, it's about human sacrifice. I couldn't find any songs directly taken from it, but I could find a version of 'The Maypole Song' performed by the Medaevial Baebes, a band which I've seen (they played before Type O Negative in Sydney when I lived there - how I ever got laid in that country I'll never know). Anyway, here's the video:


Your residing memories of the movie will include the songs, the ending, and most disturbingly, Christopher Lee in a check jacket and yellow shirt combo. Chilling!
There's a lot going on in this picture. Forget the scary wooden beast behind, is that a bright yellow turtleneck?[source]
 In short: Get it down you.

Hannibal: the Musical [1993]
Another awesome movie poster / DVD cover. [source]
As far as I'm aware, this is the first work by Trey Parker and Matt Stone, the creators of South Park. It's a hilarious, but unpolished work. I debated putting South Park the Movie on this list, but it's not quite as good as the show itself, and the songs aren't quite as good as they are here. It starts off with horrific violence, but devolves into a slapstick heavy, silly story with song great, catchy songs thrown in. Japanese Indians, a barroom chase scene which is ridiculous, and the snowman song all make this more than worthy of your time. Also, I can't help but use the word 'Schapdoinkle' every single day, much to the annoyance of everyone I know.

Speaking of the songs, 'Schpadoinkle Day,' is a pastiche of 'Oh What a beautiful morning' from Oklahoma which kicks the original to death. The lovely 'When I Was On Top Of Her' is the most affecting song from a man to his horse in the western canon. Great stuff, check out the videos below:


In clonclusion, check all of these out. Actively not included: Sweeney Todd, which absolutely sucked ass, and I had the good misfortune to go and see it at the behest of my ex, who is a bitch.
Anyway, hope everyone is having a great April.
Yours, Pascal.

No comments:

Post a Comment