Monday 9 April 2012

Some postive thoughts

I don't really get 'emotional,' unless I'm really tired (when I can burst into tears at the drop of a hat) - so you'll have to take this as sincere emotion. I'm really happy to everyone who's read pages and enjoyed them. People from all over the world have checked into some of my thoughts and that's great. I'd also like to thank EVERYONE who has written to me about anything I've done, but particularly those of you who have written positive things. It's nice to be told something you've written was good or funny, especially when around 80% of my mail is badly written hate mail.

On another note, I have family who live in Vietnam and have been lucky enough to travel there, and so I watched with interest a Top Gear special where the presenters go to Vietnam. I was waiting for my friend to finish showering and didn't realise that she took nearly an hour to do so, and so ended up watching nearly the whole thing (apparently I was too hung-over to change the channels). At the very least, Vietnam is a beautiful country with excellent food, and I at least hoped to see to some interesting stuff. I've never really watched Top Gear before, because I don't care about cars, but I was surprised by how tedious the show is. Instead of an interesting look at a culture and vehicles, three hideous men pretended to get into hijinks, made inane or irrelevant points, flirted with racism and hosted obviously staged 'situations' all while being followed by a huge camera crew. The hosts themselves were narrow-minded, boring, and laddish, despite being comfortably middle-aged. They sum up everything that is wrong with English people when they are abroad. Most importantly though, the show isn't funny. That this is the most popular show in the world doesn't give me a lot of hope for the future.

My advice then is to be the best you can be. If watching Top Gear is the best that you can be, please do us all a favour and wear condoms- vulcanised rubber is a wonderful thing, and we don't need any more kids, thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment