Saturday 26 May 2012

100 Posts: A Celebration and an Archive.

The Queens 60th Anniversary is constantly on TV. I've heard it's the same in Australia. I think we should all celebrate someone who's actually done something useful. For example, me, for this is the 100th post I've done. I intend to stop this for a little while, as I'm heading overseas with work for a few months and am unsure of how often I will be able to check the Internet. This post will also serve as a guide to help you to access every article a little more quickly  and easily. I've grouped them as well as I can, so click on the link to find:

The 'In Praise Of' series, where I sing the praises of something I like.
1. Mad Max 2 2. The Haggis 3.  Belgian Beers (top 5) 4. The Almond 5. Drunken Master 2 6. My Idiot Friend Rick 7. The TV show Parks and Recreation 8. Legend of Zelda Ocarina Of Time 3D 9. Pom Poko

Facts, Opinions and stories about British people and my life in Britain:
Annoying, arrogant teenage girls, how to have the least original gap year ever, my thoughts on inspirational quotes and also my thoughts on popular sayings. My trips to Newcastle, and much less pleasantly, to Liverpool. As well as Liverpool, here are more things to avoid, and also things I still don't understand about living in Britain. Including a realistic look at British Supermarkets, and an uncomfortable trip to the bank.
There is a discussion on the omnipresence of Soccer, which I think is boring, before you look to how to survive power cut. Finally we can see things everyone says to an Australian in the UK and a heart-felt review of the Edinburgh Festival Review of 2011, of which I had one of the worst shows of all time.

Tied into that a little is fashion, namely how shitty tattoos are. and the surprisingly popular worst things in fashion right now,

Also tied into British life, are things I like:
A hearty, self-convincing reasons to be cheerful, and later things to be happy about, and then the seemingly saccharine 'some positive thoughts' which is actually a hate-filled incitement for most of the population to kill themselves. There is also an odd piece where I give relationship advice (with ulterior motives) found under the name of tolerance, and because it doesn't fit anywhere else, a book review, the only one I did, though I have read more books in this last 6 months than just that.

It wasn't all self-centred nonsense though, some of it tackled politics:
Click here to read my thoughts on E-Petitions, the ongoing scandal about child-abuse and homophobia in the Catholic Church after near daily news reports and scandals. Some well-researched (genuinely) pieces on
violence and racism inherent in the British police force and a more light-hearted account of Mark Kennedy the undercover cop who went native and slept with a bunch of protesters. Elsewhere, there were cynical articles on how to succeed in politics (basically waffle and take bribes), and disappointment in the international legal system following the U.N.s failure to act in Syria until it was far too late found here. On a more optimistic note, I suggest a number of non-religious Commandments to help you live your life in the 21st century.

Related to this was the short-lived and poorly-received feature 'Prick of the day' where I discussed someone who had been a prick for some time. Only two were created, the first was Rupert Murdoch and the second was Megadeth's born-again Christian Dave Mustaine.  For the record, I could have done a lot more of these, but they didn't go down well, and got my anger up.

Stupid and Miscellaneous:
These political ones were never well received, and so I put down less politically charged thoughts. For example, I tell How to spend £1b thoughts on Valentine's Day, On top of this there was my thoughts on the blog so far, a list of bizarre and random facts, called Get Fact, a failed grammar lesson, and a story on Tort Law involving blood and bruised testicles. On top of that, I've come up with a brilliant New Musical.How exciting does that all sound? Not as exciting as my ill-infomed decision to write about which world foods I like least

Then we move to romance:
 My personal experiences, including the end of a 5 year relationship, the resultant soul-searching seen in an analysis of my long-term girlfriends. Following that, we see my personal biggest disappointments and shattered dreams, before I regale you with a tale of an attractive stalker. At a less personal, more 'celebrity' level of romance, we discuss some female sex symbols whom I don't find attractive (hint, Natalie Portman is there), and also females whom I do find attractive (hint, Carmella from Neighbours is there.) In the interests of Homosexual readers, we look first at my personal 5 Top Mancrushes (actually the first post on this blog) before revisiting the list with the predictably titled Mancrushes revisited.

About me personally,
 I've tried to keep specific information on me to a minimum, as I'm a private person, but we still find space for a list of people who people say I look like, and a related list on the worst things about being tall, as I'm reasonably tall. An avid sportsman and voyeur, we also discuss the 5 best injuries I've ever seen in real life. and, finally, because it had no where else to go, the 5 coolest named people I've ever met if you're interested, Murray Christmas would win this time, if I was to write that again.

Movies:
Are also important to me, and we discuss my hatred of movies where a movie will follow different characters before everything comes together at the end,,the entertainment factor of movies about Vikings, and my own idea for a Viking movie. There is also a list of the most enjoyable musicals for men, (Cannibal the musical wins that list), an interesting list on the best movies about serial killers, which, if re-written today, would still have the same top four, although I have seen 'M', a black and white movie which is also great, since then. In a similar vein, you can see the best movies set on islands, the most frightening and freakiest kids in movies, the best acts of drag in movies. More creatively, I have a list of bad ideas for Tim Burton to try out, but he beat me to it with 'Dark Shadows.' There is also a more straight-laced review of The Artist, and a pictoral blog of Ghanian movie posters, which are a joy. As is a straight up comparison of King Kong movies.

A Feature, which began for no real reason, was 'Gere or Far' which discusses a movie with Richard Gere in it, and then tries to find more interesting movies through actors or directors who have worked with him. It is even more tenuous than it sounds. First up was Gere or Far 1 which dealt with 5 Japanese Movies, the second and third didn't, but the feature ran out because I've barely seen any Richard Gere movies, and because it sucked as an idea.

Japanese Movies: 
Probably the most voluminous thing I've written on, because all my friends aren't into it, and this provides me with an outlet. So, click here for a discussion of Kiyoshi Kurosawa Movies, that I've seen, thoughts on an interesting documentary, The Emperors Naked Army Marches On, discussions on the movie Confessions; a couple of features discussing Takashi Miike movies I've seen can be found here and also here. Similarly, studio Ghibli's Hayao Miyazaki movies can be found reviewed and ranked into bottom five and top five. Also, if you want to read about the demented series 'Lone Wolf and Cub' you can find Parts 1-3 and parts 4-6 by clicking. Also, discussion on Akira Kurosawa's non-Samurai movies are here. Discussion on the excellent High and Low, can be found by clicking, while the next article covered, Stray Dog and Drunken Angel while the third discussed I live In Fear and The Bad Sleep Well. I have seen others, but they took a long time to write, even longer to find pictures for, and were badly received (Someone called me 'ignorent' [sic] for my views on the last feature. As it is, that's it.

Sports:
Lots of sport was discussed and rated, although I could easily do more. We went through the logos and suitability of team names for the NBA Eastern Conference, and the NBA Western Conference. There is also a feature on players with the best names to play in the NBA. For rugby union, there is a Prediction and then review of the world Cup 2011, and a discussion and rating of the cities, mascots, and logos of Australian, and New Zealand teams of the Super 15.

Electric Ode: 
Were a review of pieces of electronic gear which I was using at the time. The first, of the Samsung M8800, was scathing, and I have stopped using it, the second, more positive, was for the Creative Zen Vision M.

TV:
TV really annoys me, I especially hate adverts and voice overs, and would rather just watch a show on DVD. This is clearly shown by an in-depth analysis of an advert which drove me to murderous thoughts and a still ongoing boycott,,a similar discussion on the deodorant brand Lynx, a look at TV problems in the United Kingdom, and then some of my own TV shows ideas, which are HILARIOUS.

Travel: 
Wasn't particularly discussed, but it easily could have been, so all we now have is a picture essay on terrifying dolls of the world. and an article on Chinese Logic, and German Logic which was called racist by some, but but wasn't.

Animals:
Finally we come to animals, we had suggestions on the best post-apocalyptic pets, a feature on the best zoos I've ever been to, which prompted some unpleasant emails, and then there was a discussion on ivory trafficking and debate on The tastiest animal you can't eat (the panda) in the same article. That's 100 posts!

I want to thank everyone who has read anything, and anyone who has sent me email, keep reading. It's great to hear from you, genuinely.
P.S. getting together 100 links for this page took friggin forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment